Monday 12 October 2009

Digi Candle Tutorial

Hi one and all :)
I decided the other night to have a go at getting a digi image onto a candle! These make such gorgeous gifts when they're wrapped in clear cellophane with a matching tag.
Having only made these with rubber stamped images, I was determined to master it with digis! So....after several attempts...and a printer that had munched its way through many sheets of tissue paper...here we are!I was really pleased with the result, and after a conversation with the fabulous Mo, of Digital Pencil Too, I have done a tutorial. I hope you find it useful and if anyone manages to follow it and make their own, please leave a link on this post...I'd love to see them :)
Ok...here goes!

Ingredients...
A plain candle
White tissue paper
Wax or Greaseproof paper
A piece of average A4 cardstock
Low tack tape
A digi image - I've used Fairy Tabia and Christmas Fairy Holly from Digital Pencil Too
A printer &
A heat gun
Oh...and colours and decorations!

Method...
First of all take a sheet of tissue paper and attach it to the piece of cardstock using low tack tape to secure it. I found that wrapping over the side edges and taping down the ends (as in the picture) worked best.Make sure it is as flat and tight as possible without 'warping' the cs.
You're then ready to put it through the printer. My printer was set to print as standard ...I wouldn't suggest you make the ink too heavy or it may tear the paper.
They should look like this when printed...Detatch the tissue paper from the cs and cut out the image you want to use... colour...and cut around the image leaving a small margin. Next, lay the trimmed image over the candle in the place you want it to be 'set' ...and then lay the wax paper over the top of the image. Make sure it's long enough to wrap completely around the candle and that you have enough to pull it tight and hold on to. Now very gently wave the heat gun over the image, carefully watching it as it goes slightly shiny. Don't 'hovver' the heat in the same place too long or you'll get marks and runs on the candle. Peel away - slowly- the wax paper...making sure the tissue paper has adhered to the candle fully. If there are patches which haven't quite stuck...put the wax paper back on and gently heat again... And that's it!! ... It's now ready to decorate... Sparkle... ...Gems... ...and a ribbon!

28 comments:

Ginny said...

W-O-W!!!!!!!!!! this is GORGEOUS, tfs :)

Deanne Clarke said...

Absolutely beautiful! I love it!

Lorraine A said...

Oh WOW !! Gorgeous candles Lydia ,, lovely christmas gifts :-)
Luv
lorraine x x

Anonymous said...

Totally gorgeous Lyds. Love it! May even have a go myself!! S xxx

Nigel said...

Fantastic idea. I've been wondering how to print onto tissue paper, and now I know. Thanks, you're a star :)

Linnie said...

Oh wow what a fantastic way to use the digis
luv
linniex

Anonymous said...

Wow this is so gorgeous. Thank you for the tutorial! It's great.
I've just bought 3 digi stamps from Mo because they are so so cute.
Hugs xx
Pat

Lou Sims said...

Fab set Lyds . . I find printing on draft works best for me. Love your colouring and such a cute image.

Lou
x

Net said...

That's gorgeous Lydia - you aren't half clever!

Wilma said...

thats looks great Lyds - i would have thought that the tissue paper would stick in my printer - scared to try :)

Lauretta See said...

wow this TUT is great ;) i was just wondering about this.. being able to put a digi image on a candle..
tell me please.. is your printer a laser or ink ??

Thanks for sharing :)) xx

♥ Lydia ♥ said...

Thanks for your comment and your question. My printer is an inkjet :)

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

SO brilliant and stunning. LOVE this madly! :o)

sandra said...

So beautiful!
Hugs!
Sandra!

sandra said...

Forgot to ask...Can I use Tombow markers for coloring or it works only with Promarkers?
Hugs!
Sandra!

♥ Lydia ♥ said...

Sandra, you can use Tombow markers...in fact most things really, including watercolours...just try not to get the tissue paper 'too' wet and just colour very lightly. Hope that helps x

sandra said...

Thank you for tutorial!!!
And yes, you helped!
Hugs!
Sandra!

Shazza said...

absolutely gorgeous Lydia, thanks for the tutorial too
x

Elizabeth O Dulemba said...

What a GREAT tutorial! Thanks Lydia! (I see Christmas gifties in my future....
:)
e

Maria said...

Fabulous tute Lydia and wonderful creations on your blog. Off to become a follower. Hugs, Maria

Deebi27 said...

What a Grrreat tutorial. I have got try this for cool holiday gifts!

FitterTwit said...

AWESOME Tutorial!!!

Morgan said...

Instead of taping your tissue to card stock, cut a piece of freezer paper to size and iron the two together then run through the printer. I used to do this all the time when I was quilting and wanted to run fabric through the printer, no reason it shouldn't work for tissue too.

Shazza said...

fab tutorial Lydia, I wondered how I could use my digis, off to attmept putting tissue paper through my printer now x

LORi said...

Thanks for the tut Lydia!! I just shared it along with your name on my Facebook account. Great work Girl!!
HUGS - LORi

Gwen's Busy Little Hands said...

This is so neat. I think I'll try this idea with my 6 year old. She will love to create a fun image that she can share. Thanks for the tutorial.

Smiles!
Gwen

applejack cards by sue said...

Beautiful keepsake. I will certainly be making these. Got your link from the clubhouse.

Unknown said...

Fabulous. That's definitely one on my things to try list. Thanks for the tutorial Lydia. Xxx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails